A trendy and appreciated style, the vintage look is gaining momentum. Recover old items or reuse old and obsolete furniture, here are some guidelines to give an offbeat style to your home:
1) An aged wood effect: opt for wax or gray paint to give an old look to your rustic furniture. Antique wood brings a touch of yesteryear to your decor.
2) Dare a bright color: mustard, pastel, petrol blue, ecru or metallic gray are the preferred colors for interior decoration.
3) Vintage accessories: bedside lamp in metal, elegant leather sofa, wooden chair … harmonizes your furniture and realize a charming decoration thanks to vintage accessories.
4) An old-fashioned wallpaper: opt for colorful wallpapers, with graphics or flowers to give cachet to your rooms.
5) An old rug: the icing on the cake for a real vintage look is the two-tone rug with original shapes to dress your rooms.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR INTERIOR DECORATION?
The choices in interior design are often difficult, to be advised by a professional of the decoration is an exciting solution. Nathalie Vingot Mei, an interior decorator for more than 15 years, puts her expertise and knowledge at your disposal and offers her advice in interior design.
Two services are available to you, according to your needs and your wishes: the “partial formula” (advice in partial interior decoration) in a visitor the “complete formula” (advice in interior decoration deepened).
“DECORATION COUNCIL” THE PARTIAL FORMULA:
You have begun to rethink the decoration of your living room, and you lack inspiration for the choice of curtains? You designed your office space quickly, and today, you feel the need to develop it optimally? The decoration session is what you need.
Nathalie Vingot Mei comes to your place for a 2-hour session. She takes the time to define your request and advises you:
- Advice for the choice of colors (decoration of a living room, new decoration of the nursery in a teenager’s bedroom…)
- Interior design, space optimization, deco tips,
- Choice of materials for the design of your kitchen or bathroom,
- Organization of a dressing room
“DECORATION ADVICE” THE COMPLETE FORMULA:
This service requires more time and takes place in 3 phases:
- The first consists of a visit (about 2 hours) to understand your expectations, your lifestyle, your desires, your needs and your budget, discover your current decor, establish the quantities, make some photos. In short, immerse yourself in your interior.
- Then Nathalie Vingot Mei works on your project: furniture layout, decorative choices of furniture, textiles, carpets, lighting, decorative accessories … Reflection on color references, budget estimate. All in a notebook of tendencies.
- During a second meeting, Nathalie Vingot Mei meets you again to comment on her recommendations and answer your last questions. Thanks to the hand delivery of a trend book, this service allows you to do your work gradually and plunge into his ideas whenever you want.
Hide the electrical wires
For your living room to instantly look more in order, be sure to conceal all electrical cables, especially those that are connected to your TV and the devices that are attached to it.
Have at least two sources of lighting
Well-dosed lighting can transform a room! During the day, natural light usually does the work, but after dark, it is essential to have several light sources to give your living room a warm and comfortable atmosphere.
Incorporate baskets of storage
Joysticks, cables, adapters, chargers and all other small techno gadgets will find their place in pretty storage baskets.
You can also use them to stow another throw or to put your mountain of cushions when you decide to take a nap on your couch. Storage baskets = simple and efficient organization!
Do not neglect the window cladding
A proper window dressing can make ALL the difference in your living room.
First, define your needs: are you the type to listen to lots of movies and want a room that bathes in the shadows? Opaque blinds could be a good option. Do you read a lot and want maximum natural light? A light curtain will do the job.
Depending on the case, take the time to shop your windows and do not forget to measure the dimensions of your windows!
Add some greenery
If you’re a fan of minimalist deco and you’re not one to paint your walls with dapper colors, plants can be a great way to add color to your living room.
And in addition to adding life to your decor, they improve the quality of the air!
Choose the right furniture formats
One of the most common mistakes in decoration: furniture too big. While it happens that the furniture we have been given to us or were purchased while living in a larger space, know that you can still “adjust” to your decor!
For example, you have two large loveseats that take up a lot of space, but since you need four seats, you do not want to get rid of one of them. A good solution would be to put one for sale and buy two small chairs to replace it.
Keep in mind that the more your living room is cluttered with large furniture, the smaller it will appear.
Avoid sticking all your furniture to the wall.
Let your room breathe! Most people tend to stick all their furniture on the walls. However, in the living room, we try to create a friendly space in the center of the room.
For example, you can buy a rug around which you will collect your furniture. You will see, the air will circulate much better and you will have an impression of space!
Get a cozy carpet
The living room is the room where we like to relax! To put yourself in this state of mind the second you step in, get an incredibly cozy carpet.
This will give your space a very cozy appearance, and your feet will be delighted!
Pay attention to the choice of textiles
In my opinion, textiles are too often overlooked in decoration. Your living room is a place where you will rest and unwind your day, so it goes without saying that you need to focus your decor towards comfort.
Touch throws, cushions, carpets, and sofas before buying them and ask yourself if you like their texture. Pay more attention to these details, and I guarantee you will never have been so comfortable in your living room!
- Reduce clutter
Did you know that the clutter of a room could affect your stress level? Try to limit hangovers by using a few storage baskets and closed cabinets to store your belongings.